Winners of WorldStar Packaging Awards 2023 and Student WorldStar were awarded during Interpack 2023
The World Packaging Organisation (WPO) awarded during Interpack 2023 the winners of WorldStar 2023 and WorldStar Student during a Gala Ceremony on May 06 at Messe Düsseldorf. 140 companies, from a total of 228 winners, were present to receive their trophies. In a record edition, the WorldStar registered 488 entries, from 41 countries; in the previous edition (2022) there were 440 competitors from 37 countries.
During the Gala dinner, the WPO also awarded the winners – Gold, Silver and Bronze – of the Special Categories – Marketing, Sustainability, Accessible Packaging, and Packaging that Saves Food. “These Special Categories reinforce the importance and power of the main trends in packaging. We highly recommend that companies apply for WorldStar. Participating and winning WorldStar is a global recognition and puts your packaging in a different and prestigious level”, states WPO President, Pierre Pienaar.
Another Special Category awarded during the ceremony was the ‘President´s Award’. In this case, from all the entries received, Pierre Pienaar chose the one that represents the main innovation and differentiation in the packaging industry.
“Packages eligible for WorldStar Awards are those that have already received a national or regional packaging award from a packaging competition that is recognized by WPO, during the past two years. The aim is to promote packaging innovation in various sectors, proving that good packaging can be the essential solution to many of the modern problems, especially sustainability in consumption chains, prevention of food waste, extension of shelf life, safety and consumer convenience”, adds Luciana Pellegrino, Senior Vice President of Marketing and President elected of WPO to assume on November 25.
- Gold – EverchemTech (South Korea) – Nexrier Eco-friendly packaging materials with high oxygen barrier properties based on protein
- Silver – Flöter Verpackungs Service (Germany) – Air Wave Paper Wave Bio air cushion
- Bronze – Coca-Cola Tokyo Research & Development Company (Japan) – Coca-Cola label-free PET bottle
- Gold – Deco Glas (Germany) – SE Mast-Jägermeister #savethenight edition thermochromic screen print on glass bottle
- Silver – Pyroll Packaging (Finland) – Every bird is special yogurt cups’ paper-based lids designed by consumers/end-users
- Bronze – ZRP Printing Group (China) – Flower tea gift box
- Gold – BioPak (Australia & New Zealand) – Sugarcane pulp hot and cold cup lids
- Silver – Coca-Cola Tokyo Research & Development (Japan) – Coca-Cola label-free PET bottle
- Bronze – Raja (Norway) – SeaStretch the first manual stretch wrap made of paper
- Gold – Toyo Seikan (Japan) – Finger-fitting tab for food can lid
- Silver – Caps & Closures (Australia & New Zealand) – EzyGrip
- Bronze – The Salt Industry Center (Japan) – Shio Hitofuri one-shake (“hitofuri”) salt
Packaging that Saves Food
- Gold – Amcor Copperprotek (Chile) – LifeSpan copper based film
- Silver – Caps & Closures (Australia & New Zealand) – ThermoShield temperature monitoring system
- Bronze – Masterpack Group (Netherlands) – Modified atmosphere technology