Avantium was founded in 2000 and is located in Amsterdam/Netherlands. The company is a pioneer in the emerging industry of renewable and sustainable chemistry.
Aventium seeks to take part in the opportunities of the transition towards a circular economy, with the goal of creating value for their stakeholders and society as a whole.
Avantium aims to aid the transition to a fossil-free world by developing groundbreaking products on the basis of renewable feedstock instead of fossil resources.
Sustainable alternatives for fossil-based chemicals and materials include plastic bottles for drinks, films for food packaging and electronics, fibers for textiles and material used for example in toys.
The company‘s technology XYY catalytically converts plant-based sugars into FDCA (furandicarboxylic acid) and materials such as the new plant-based packaging material PEF (polyethylene furanoate). PEF is a 100% plant-based, 100% recyclable plastic with superior performance properties compared to today’s widely used petroleum-based packaging materials.
Avantium works on developing practical solutions to accelerate the transition to a fossil-free world. The company is doing this by focusing on innovative plant-based chemicals and materials as well as aiming to convert carbon dioxide (CO2) to a valuable resource for sustainable products.
Avantium Catalysis specializes in innovations and technologies to accelerate catalytic research and development. Aventium supports companies in reaching their sustainability, profitability and growth targets by providing unique technology and catalysis research expertise.
Products / Technology
Business units Avantium consists of three business units:
- Renewable Polymers
- Renewable Chemistries
- 2000 – the company Avantium was founded for Catalysis research
- 2005 - commenced offering of R&D systems to customers
- 2006 - proof-of-principle plants-to-plastics YXY Technology achieved
- 2011 - divestment of services business in pharmaceuticals
- opening of FDCA pilot plant in Geleen/Netherlands to scale up YXY Technology – first PEF bottle produced
- 2014 - Gert-Jan Gruter awarded CTO of the Year Europe 2014
- 2015 - FDCA included in Plastics Regulations as food contact material
- 2016 - establishment joint venture Synvina
- acquisition Liquid Light
- 2017 - European approval for integration of PEF in existing recycling streams
- completion of the IPO
- 2018 - pening of the Dawn Technology pilot biorefinery in Delfzijl/Netherlands
- 2019 - full ownership of Synvina - renamed to Avantium Renewable Polymers
- opening plants-to-glycols demonstration plant to scale up Ray Technology
PETplanet Insider Articles
Issue 09 / 2019: PEF and PET, side by side